Before you start the campaign, you can perform some test to make sure the message is displayed correctly and the user journey is set up the way you wanted it to be.
When using the Email Channel
When you are setting up an email campaign, you can preview the email itself by generating the preview (supported not for all email service providers) or send it as a test email to your mailbox:
Go to Edit campaign → Messages → Edit email.
You can now either:
- Click on Preview to view the HTML template within CrossEngage, or
- Send email preview to me right above the HTML Template block to send an example email to your mailbox. Next, enter your email address in case you want to preview it in your mailbox and choose the number of copies you want to receive. This will render you the messages for random users in your segment.
When using other Channels
In case you are testing other channels, you can create a segment which contains only yourself or your colleagues and apply the campaign to this segment. In order to do this, please follow these steps:
- Go to User Segments and click on Create Segment.
- Insert the segment name and click on a plus icon ("Add new condition").
- In the window with a new connection, please choose "User attributes" and click on "Add new".
- Choose the relevant attribute. Email address (traits.email) or CrossEngage ID (traits.xngGlobalUserID) would be the best option in most cases. Please make sure that you as a user are qualified to undergo the user journey you built. If not, modify your user profile accordingly via User Feed upload or Update User function in API.
- Add the value of the trait (for example, your email address). Set the operator value to "equals" or "contains".
- Close the condition and save the segment. Don't forget to estimate the segment size - there should be exactly one user in it in case you added only yourself. You can also verify this by going to User Segments.
- Assign the created segment to your campaign and activate the campaign via Campaign Overview.
- Imitate the user journey which you have created for the campaign.
I did not receive my test message. What can I do?
Please ensure that
- your test segment is correct and that you are included in it
- your user journey is consistent and takes relevant user behavior into consideration
- there are no exclusions (page exclusions, frequency cappings, rules when campaign should not be sent) which may prevent you from seeing the message
- if you are using Onsite, Browser Push or Exit Intent, your browser allows the display of ads and notifications
If you are still experiencing issues, please submit a request.